In order for a business to run successfully, employees and their employer should have an amicable and mutually beneficial relationship. But when problems in the workplace do arise, it’s best to go to an experienced attorney who can help resolve these issues. David Kotzian represents clients in all forms of employment law cases, including harassment, discrimination, whistleblower protection, and wrongful termination. Mr. Kotzian is also a skilled mediator, arbitrator and investigator when employees and employers need a neutral third party to assist with their disputes. There are many options in dealing with employment disputes, whether it be litigation, mediation, arbitration, or negotiation. Mr. Kotzian approaches each matter with a focus on which option is best for the particular client, and he provides candid and honest advice even if the answer isn’t always what the client wants to hear. The knowledge he has gained representing both employees and employers and serving as a neutral enables him to approach your case with a unique perspective.
David Kotzian is a 1984 graduate of the University of Michigan Law School, and also earned his Ph.D. in Labor Economics from the University of Michigan. His practice is concentrated in employment rights litigation, counseling, arbitration and mediation. He is a former council member of the State Bar of Michigan Labor and Employment Law Section and a past chair of the Oakland County Bar Association Employment Law Committee. Mr. Kotzian is also on the roster of Neutral Employment Law Arbitrators and Mediators for the American Arbitration Association. He has been selected as one of "The Best Lawyers in America" in employment law, a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, and a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates. Superlawyers named him as one of the top ten attorneys in the State of Michigan for five consecutive years (2009-2013).
Areas of Practice
David Kotzian represents clients in employment rights matters, including:
- Wrongful termination
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- Sales commissions
- Employment agreements
- Severance agreements
- Commercial litigation
- and other related matters
Mr. Kotzian also is an experienced arbitrator, mediator, and independent investigator of employment disputes.
- Received the highest rating (AV) in Martindale Hubbell for ethics and skills.
- Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America in Employment Law since 2001.
- Selected as one of the Top 10 Lawyers in Michigan by Super Lawyers for 2009-2013.
- Elected to the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers in 2009.
- Selected as Member to American Board of Trial Advocates in 2013.
- State Bar of Michigan, Labor and Employment Law Past Section Council Member.
- Oakland County Bar Association, Past Chair of Employment Law Committee
- Counsel in numerous trials in state and federal courts.
- Extensive experience as author and seminar speaker on topics regarding employment rights litigation, including programs and publications by the American Arbitration Association, State Bar Labor and Employment Law Section, National Employment Lawyers Association, the Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Michigan Court Administration Association, the Oakland County Bar Association, Michigan Trial Lawyers Association, and Council on Education in Management.
- Roster of Neutral Employment Law Arbitrators and Mediators for the American Arbitration Association;
- Employment Panel Case Evaluator for Oakland County Mediation and Wayne County Mediation Tribunal
University of Michigan:
- Bachelors in Mathematics and Economics with Highest Distinction (1981).
- Juris Doctor, Magna Cum Laude, Order of the Coif (1984).
- Ph.D. in Economics (Dissertation: An Economic Analysis of Employment Discrimination, 1987).